WPS is seeking an innovative, creative, market-focused Product Designer to join our growing and busy Design team as a Hard Parts Developer.
This position will work within the Product Design team to design and develop house brand hard parts products. This role requires strong industry knowledge and understanding of consumer needs, as well as possessing the ability to inspire the creative process within the team. This role is also responsible for maintaining effective coordination and communication between design teams, domestic and foreign vendors, and internal departments.
This position may include relocation considerations.
**Candidates are required to provide a link to a portfolio of your designs in order to be considered for this role**
- Ability to work through all phases of the product development process – concepts through production.
- Create original designs relevant to products associated with brand segments.
- Ability to design and create using a variety of methods such as sketching, physical prototyping, engineering drawings using 3D, CAD software and/or graphics software
- Provide high-quality product designs and product directions.
- Create detailed tech packs andor engineering drawings for vendors that provides all required information for production.
- Manage project timeline/schedule with vendor. Ensure key milestones and delivery dates are achieved.
- Ensure daily communication and coordination with internal development staff, and factories to ensure that the product development goals are being met for each project.
- Create product reviews for development, pre-production, and TOP samples.
- Project management including new product design conceptualization, design, prototyping, testing, safety evaluation, design verification and validation, oversight of manufacturing processes, management of suppliers and ensuring timely market launch
- Analyze and evaluate product defects, risks, and perform failure investigations.
- Provide material & process expertise, including support of Strategic Sourcing and Manufacturing
- Identify internal and external customer requirements
- Define materials, structures and converting of processes for incremental improvements and next generation type innovations and provide associated bills of materials for cost estimation
- Provide cost, time-to-market, and ROI analyses
- Create and execute associated trials in Manufacturing and tests designs prior to manufacturing release and market deliver
- Define robust commercial specifications including testing and QA/QC necessary to meet safety and customer requirements
- Communicate results effectively via written trial reports and presentations to customers and senior management
- Overseas travel to vendor factories as needed.
- Other duties as required.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in a job-related design field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- High proficiency in 3D modeling software (solid works preferred). Experience in Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop software a plus.
- 3+ years of experience within the product design/development field.
- Exceptional design skill and the ability to communicate form through 2-D and/or 3D means.
- A comprehensive understanding of design, development, and production processes.
- A willingness to embrace art direction, and encourage positive collaboration with fellow designers and staff
- Knowledge of manufacturing practice and methods.
- Demonstrate a desire to lead and foster growth in a collaborative team environment within multiple disciplines.
- Ability to effectively solve problems on a variety of issues with a solution-based approach.
- Highly organized, positive attitude, and self-driven.
- Ability to toggle between multiple program windows at a time is preferred, but not required.
- Interest in outdoor power sports (Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, ATV/UTV, BMX, Mountain Bike, and Watercraft) preferred.
- Strong mechanical inclination, with a sense of fashion and current trends.
- Please submit a link to a portfolio that illustrates your work or provides examples of your product development skills.
**Any offer of employment is subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background screening and drug screening**
About Western Power Sports
Work hard. Play hard – WPS and the FLY Racing Culture
For 60 years, our motto at Western Power Sports has been "Work hard. Play hard". We are the home of FLY Racing , a group of powersports enthusiasts who are passionate about the brand, the lifestyle, and the value we bring to the world of powersports through our extensive product offerings and dealer network. We value a competitive drive to succeed and the desire to be THE BEST. We strive to offer our customers the best products, fastest delivery, and the ultimate customer service experience in the powersports industry, one customer and one order at a time, every time. We seek talented individuals who are passionate about life and bring that passion and energy to their work! If you have the skills, the talents and the experience we need, we would love to hear from you!