Under general supervision, the R&D Suspension Technician uses expertise in suspension systems and mechanical functions to determine technical settings for motorcycles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understands current and future industry trends and consumer/media needs for off road and street motorcycles including both MX, Enduro and street segments in order to determine the best technical suspension settings.
- Analyzes KTM, Husqvarna (i.e. KTM Group) and WP suspension versus the competition’s current market position and defines future direction to meet goals while taking into account production requirements and restraints. Compiles information and makes recommendations KTM Group in North America and Headquarters. Applies best technical specifications to testing and upcoming models.
- Understands motorcycle dynamics and the impact from individual chassis components in order to determine any proposed future changes or adjustments.
- Using understanding of suspension and fluid dynamics, internally modifies suspension components to improve the handling of the motorcycle.
- Provides technical leadership for research, testing and development for chassis and suspension system optimization utilizing simulation, on-site tests and data acquisition. Compiles information and makes recommendations to KTM Group in North America and Headquarters.
- Monitors and tracks suspension components to document and organize data and test results.
- Gathers relevant data from multiple sources and integrates it into a cohesive plan to improve the motorcycle through testing and development.
- Presents information and makes recommendations to appropriate management parties within KTM Group in North America and Headquarters.
- Works closely with KTM Group R&D teams in North America and Headquarters in Austria.
- Operates various machining tools including CNC mill and lathe for prototype manufacturing and suspension dyno machine.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Generally requires a minimum of five to ten (5-10) years of experience in motorcycle suspension. Required proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Other preferred experience includes SolidWorks/Simulation, CamWorks, Data and electromechanical sensor and application, VBA programming. Motorcycle riding experience is strongly preferred.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma required. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in engineering is strongly preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Generally requires the ability to demonstrate the following:
- Understanding of current/future industry trends and consumer/media needs for off road and street motorcycles.
- Understanding of motorcycle dynamics, chassis components, suspension systems.
- Familiarity in R&D processes, data acquisition and testing.
- Self-starter with strong leadership, communication skills and demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Ability to schedule, coordinate and manage multiple projects.
- Analytical abilities.
- Strong work ethic, productivity, efficiency and attendance.
- High level of organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and cleanliness during course of work.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to use tact and professionalism in interpersonal communications and teamwork with internal and/or external customers.
- Multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline driven and constantly changing environment.
- Flexibility to switch gears with little notice.
- Prioritize workload, meet deadlines and understand when to escalate potential issues.
- Basic math skills.
- Internal and external customer focused.
- Adhere to all Company policies/procedures, safety regulations, local/state/ federal employment laws.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
Internal: KTM Group HQ in Austria, R & D teams (KTM, Husqvarna, WP)
External: After market suspension companies; select WP authorized centers
JUDGEMENT/REASONING ABILITY: Ability to recognize discrepancies and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise and diplomacy. Requires ability to use judgment and reasoning skills, and determine when issues need to be escalated.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following physical demands are generally representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, hear and speak; sit, stand and walk; use manual dexterity in hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; kneel, bend and stoop; and:
Ability to lift, move, carry up to 75 pounds – <15% daily
Able to sit at a desk and use/view computer – 15% daily
Able to talk, hear and speak into a telephone – 10% daily
Able to stand, walk, bend, stoop, twist, squat – 90% daily
Able to use hands, wrists, fingers for intricate work – 90% daily
Able to drive or fly long distance – 20% daily
WORK ENVIRONMENT: In general, the following conditions of the work environment are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job within the environment.
- Noise in the work environment is generally considered moderate to loud.
- Fast-paced environment with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual office work environment
- Ability to work extended hours as required
- Ability to travel if needed; travel is minimal to moderate; up to approximately 20% domestic and international travel is required.
REQURED PREHIRE SCREENINGS:
- Criminal – Felony and Misdemeanor 7 Years
- National Criminal Data Base 7 Years
- Social Security Verification
- Driving Record
- NDOT Drug Screen