Under general supervision, the Benefits & Payroll Specialist will provide clerical and general support to the HR Department. Monitors various aspects of employee well-being. Provides customer service to employees, manager and directors. Provides employee customer service. Processes all aspects of bi- weekly payroll for multi-state and multi-companies. This position is highly confidential in nature.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Processes benefits and 401K/retirement transactions as related to payroll in the Paycom system for the US and coordinates with ADP for Canada. Administer and track company health and wellness program. Includes the following, as applicable:
- Entering data into the system(s) and monitoring upcoming effective dates accordingly
- Reconciling benefits billing statements and ensures timely payment to carriers
- Processing H.S.A. funding
- Auditing and distributing 1094/1095s, as needed
- Assist in annual open enrollment process and supports system set up of new premiums
- Processing 401K/retirement funding with the carriers, as required
- May work with benefits and 401K/retirement brokers, as needed, in day to day program administration as related to payroll
- Performs a variety of duties in administering the employee’s benefits and enrollment programs, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and ACA compliance.
- Researches and presents new ideas to keep employees engage in company health and wellness programs.
- Processes biweekly payroll in a multi-company and multi-state environment using Paycom in the US and coordinates with ADP for Canada.
- Includes the following, as applicable:
- Processing US and Canada payroll and handling all payroll related tasks in an accurate and timely manner
- Administering, submitting and reconciling all hourly and salaried employee pay items
- Ensures compliance with all payroll related Federal and State regulations, including wage & hour, tax, etc. Keeps abreast in evolving compliance changes and implements best practices.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert in Payroll related items for the Company; assists employees at all levels with Payroll related requests/questions; assists with various employee payroll related tasks/projects, as needed.
- Managing paid time off accruals, calculations, tracking
- Managing employee data, running ad hoc reports and conducting data audits to ensure data integrity
- Processing garnishments, verifications of employment, company filings, etc.
- Assisting Finance/Accounting department with GL postings, month/quarter closings, etc., as needed
- Conducting Payroll year-end processing and close out, including auditing and W2 distribution
- Ensuring Payroll related reporting requirements are met
- Maintaining all required payroll files, records and documentation, including general filing, as needed
- Makes recommendations for process improvement using past payroll experience/expertise and general knowledge of best practices; identifies gaps, creates structure/processes, where needed.
Employee Support and Wellbeing:
Responsible for establishing trusting relationships with all levels of employees by connecting and supporting their needs on a daily basis. Provide administrative support in various areas of HR, on an as needed basis.
- Securing engagement and retention by understanding the needs of the company and the employee
- Strong communication skills with the ability to use tact and diplomacy; promote a spirit of collaboration, maintain good rapport with others, and provide customer service with a smile
- Ensure employee communication is consistent, well perceived and builds on the KTM NA brand
- Interprets Employee Handbook policies and provides guidance to managers and employees as related to payroll practices, benefits, and wellness.
- Handles employee requests and answers questions, as needed.
- Assists in required employee reporting, postings, notifications and audits, as needed.
- Provides general administrative support, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Generally requires a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in US payroll administration in a multi-state, multi-company environment. Canada payroll experience a plus. Benefits/401K administration experience required. Other required experience includes:
- Paycom payroll processing and HRIS/timekeeping products/systems (Paycom strongly preferred or past ADP or Paychex administration acceptable)
- Advanced knowledge of Federal and State payroll, benefits and HR legal/compliance regulations and best practices (i.e. wage & hour, benefits, 401K, tax, etc.)
- Secure understanding of inter-relationship between Payroll, Benefits and other HR functions
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Genuine passion for customer service
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High School diploma required; Experience in related payroll and benefits field required. Payroll certification a plus.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is imperative
- Superior customer service skills required to effectively support employees, managers and other stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to use tact and diplomacy; promote a spirit of collaboration, maintain good rapport with others, and provide customer service with a smile
- Comfortable working with all levels of employees, from line to senior management
- Excellent organization and follow through skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; ability to conduct data audits and easily identify discrepancies
- Accurate data entry skills
- Able to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability through normal course of work
- Able to work in a busy, fast-paced, deadline driven, environment
- Able to prioritize work, meet deadlines with the ability to know when to escalate potential issues
- Able to work independently, manage multiple tasks/projects
- Strong math and analytical abilities
- Must be self-motivated with ability to use own initiative
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
Internal: All departments, all employees at all levels
External: Benefits/401K brokers, payroll vendors, other service providers, Federal/State agencies
JUDGEMENT/REASONING ABILITY: Ability to recognize discrepancies and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise and diplomacy. Requires ability to use judgment and reasoning skills and determine when issues need to be escalated.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands and fingers, bend, stoop and reach with hands and arms. And:
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds – <5% daily
- Able to sit at a desk and use/view computer – 90% daily
- Able to hear and speak into a telephone – 60% daily
- Able to stand, bend, stoop, twist – 20% daily
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise in the work environment is usually moderate. Other factors are: • Ability to travel if needed. Travel is minimal in this position, less than 10%.
- Hectic, fast-paced with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual office work environment
- Ability to work extended hours as required
Required Pre-Hire Screenings:
Criminal – Felony and Misdemeanor 7 Years
National Criminal Data Base 7 Years
Social Security Verification
NDOT Drug Screen
And/Or Education Verification