Are you looking for an organization that empowers its team members to learn, grow, and make a genuine impact? At Kawasaki, we offer this and so much more.
We have an immediate opening for a Testing Technician in our R&D Department.
This Research & Development position is responsible for the test riding of prototype, experimental, modified, and production off-road/motocross motorcycles, watercraft, ATVs, and Side-by-Side vehicles to evaluate factors such as safety, durability, ergonomics, and performance. This position also requires communication and interaction with KM/C Japan, other departments within the company and outside entities (marketing/PR companies, magazines, etc.) to provide technical assistance, information and other support as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Professional level riding of off-road/motocross motorcycles, watercraft, ATVs, and Side-by-Side vehicles through various types of terrain at safe speed on a daily basis.
- Ensures the safety of the riding for themselves and others that may be riding by carefully evaluating and reporting the safety of the riding course(s), the safety of vehicles being used, and the safety of the testing being performed.
- Attends daily testing safety meetings to ensure that all members of the test are fully aware of safety conditions, procedures and protocols.
- Carefully and accurately evaluates, documents, and quantifies all areas of performance of prototype, pre-production, and production motorcycles, watercraft, ATVs, and Side-by-Side vehicles.
- Prepares reports of Evaluation test results and collaborates with engineering personnel to analyze test data and generally improve the product.
- Assists the Endurance Testing Group as needed including preparation, maintenance, and riding during the actual endurance testing.
- Assists the Endurance Testing Group with post-endurance test unit inspections including torque checking, component crack checking, and other vehicle inspection activities.
- Oversees course safety and or requests course maintenance as needed to maintain safety at test courses.
- Attends mock-up checks of products under development to ensure suitable ergonomics and acceptable functional design.
- Supervises on-call riders, on-call technicians as needed during evaluation testing and endurance testing.
- Assists accessories development in the evaluation of accessory products installed on vehicles and the effect that those parts have on the riding dynamics of the vehicles.
- Performs mechanical work during testing as required including replacing various engine and/or chassis parts as necessary for both evaluation testing and endurance testing purposes.
- Performs preventative maintenance and service on department and test units as necessary including cleaning, lubricating and replacing worn or damaged parts.
- Maintains a working knowledge of this company’s and competitive unit’s technological and mechanical advances.
- Attends and/or assists with all types of consumer research events including focus groups, one-on-one interviews, and “ride with” events.
- Periodically participates in area track days to maintain the physical and mental skill level necessary to perform product evaluation and endurance riding.
- Performs all necessary maintenance on a company assigned track day vehicle to ensure the safety, durability, and performance of the vehicle.
- Assists KMC PR department with location scouting and course construction for Press Introduction events to ensure the location and course provide the necessary level of safety and matches the intended development direction of the product.
- Assists other departments within KMC during Press Intro events for technical assistance and input, PR related interaction with editors and other outside entities, and assists in monitoring the safety of the riding at the events.
- Assists other departments within KMC during their testing, preparation and break-in of pre-production, and production motorcycles, watercraft, ATVs, and Side-by-Side vehicles as needed.
- Assists KMC’s marketing partners with development of technical information and videos to most accurately reflect the advantages of our products and insure the technical accuracy of these productions.
- Assists engineers with installation and set-up of chassis and engine data acquisition sensors and equipment for evaluation and endurance purposes.
- Performs shop-related duties such as cleaning and organizing equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Driving a pick-up truck and trailer to and from test sites and completing DOT required log books or other transport documentation as needed.
- Cleaning and maintaining transport vehicles, and keeping transport vehicles stocked with tools and supplies.
- Maintains a clean, orderly, and safe working environment in all working areas.
- Completes basic shop related duties as needed when not assigned to a specific test.
- Assists in maintaining the inventory of testing parts, shop supplies and chemicals.
- Assists with loading and unloading of units and freight, including large crates requiring operation of a fork lift truck.
- Orders parts and tools needed by the group for maintenance of units and for testing purposes.
- Assists engineers and/or technicians during prototyping of new products including but not limited to cutting, grinding, metal forming, gas welding, MIG welding, TIG welding, lathe work, mill work, and drill press operation.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of 5 years of high level (expert or greater) motocross racing is required. Experience with motocross testing is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Is an expert-level motocross rider at minimum, professional level race experience is preferred
- Consistently rides at a high-level and makes safe and intelligent decisions while doing so
- Exhibits excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates the ability to successfully prioritize and organize multiple, competing tasks
- Is extremely detail and deadline oriented
- Brings energy and enthusiasm to group or team efforts
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of vehicle engine and chassis operation and maintenance
- Maintains a valid automobile and motorcycle driver’s license and a DMV physical card
- Has the ability to handle confidential materials and information with absolute discretion
- Has solid knowledge and experience working with Microsoft’s Word and Excel software
- Is able to occasionally lift or move up to 120 pounds
- Close, distance and color vision as well as the ability to adjust focus are required
- Approximate percentage of travel required: 40%
Your health and wellness are important to you – and to us. That’s why we provide a comprehensive benefits program designed for you (and your family) in mind.
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Generous Time off
- Educational Assistance
- Ongoing training and development
- Team member product purchase program
About Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, side x sides and Jet Ski ® watercraft through a network of almost 1,100 independent retailers, with close to an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in general purpose engines. Kawasaki and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with approximately 260 of them located at our Foothill Ranch, CA headquarters. We’re proud to say that Kawasaki has a great reputation in the industry, strong brand recognition, exemplary quality, and excellent customer service.