Manages employees and operations of the service department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1) Service Department Operations
Provide prompt, dependable, high quality vehicle service to (internal & external) customers.
Dispatch work according to the schedule, customer requests, and timelines.
Ensure service department contributes an acceptable level of gross $ net profit.
Maximize productivity levels of service technicians.
Ensure service personnel are alert, well trained, and available when needed.
Review work-in-progress to ensure quality and timeliness.
Occasionally assist technicians when they are having difficulty performing service work.
Create repair orders when necessary.
Develop procedures in conjunction with the Parts / Service Director that ensures a smooth flow of parts to Service Technicians during jobs.
Become familiar and efficient with all phases of the computer system required for service and parts management.
Ensure employees keep a clean, efficient, and orderly department.
2) Customer Service
Maintain a high degree of customer satisfaction.
Greet customers immediately, in a courteous and friendly manner.
Handle customer complaints reasonably, showing empathy and a positive attitude and demonstrate our commitment to Make Things Right.
Gain the trust and confidence of new customers when they are introduced to the service department.
Give special attention to repeat orders to ensure the situation is corrected.
Maintain service follow-up programs.
Grow the volume of service work.
Maintain efficiency reports on sales representatives.
Provide reports to P&S Director and GM as requested.
Develop monthly and annual objectives for the department in collaboration with P&S Director,
Attend training sessions to keep current with service department issues.
Maintain a positive attitude in the Service Department and provide open communication avenues.
4) Other Duties
- Establish departmental work schedule, balancing the work loads of all employees.
- and address all comebacks with individual technicians.
- Establish job assignments for all service employees within their skill levels.
- Set policies and procedures for service department.
- Manage employee performance (evaluate and counsel).
- Assist with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and termination employees.
- Maintain records of all employees performance reviews.
- Ensure appropriate training is provided to all service employees (seminars, workshops, sales schools, etc.)
- Treat all employees and customers fairly, courteously, and with dignity.
- Model superior customer service behavior for all service personnel, maintaining positive relationships with customers, employees, GM and owner(s)
- Be prompt and available for flexible scheduling.
- Be honest and fair in all business dealings.
- Demonstrate an interest in growing the service business.
- Focus on quality.
Qualifications & Job Requirements
- Minimum 5 years of experience within the service department of a Harley-Davidson dealership.
- Experience with point-of-sale and parts & service management computer software or the ability to quickly learn due to experience with other systems.
- Current, valid motorcycle license.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Occasionally required to bend, stoop, crouch, reach, and handle tools.
- Occasionally required to bend, stoop, crouch, reach and lift 100 lb. of material.
- Occasionally requires the ability to balance and push a 800 lb. motorcycle.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts.
- Is potentially exposed to battery acid, gasoline, chemical cleaning materials or other toxic materials commonly found in a motor vehicle service department.
- Occasionally, exposed to exhaust fumes or other airborne particles.