Job Title:……………………….. Service Manager
Department:…………………… Service Department
Supervisor:…………………….. Dealer Principal / General Manager (GM)
Pay Class / FLSA Status:…… Salaried / Exempt
Manages employees and operations of the service department.
Key Results Areas:
· Provide prompt, dependable, high quality motorcycle service to (internal & external) customers.
· Maintain a high degree of guest satisfaction.
· Ensure service department contributes an acceptable level of gross & net profit.
· Maximize productivity levels of service technicians.
· Grow the volume of service work.
· Maintain clean, efficient facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Service Department Operations
· Ensure service personnel are alert, well trained, and available when needed.
· Ensure technicians receive jobs based on skill level and current resource utilization.
· Review work-in-progress to ensure quality and timeliness.
· Occasionally assist technicians when they are having difficulty performing service work.
· Make estimates for internal and wreck repairs.
· Establish procedures to initiate and forward all customer paid, warranty and internal repair orders.
· Develop procedures in conjunction with the Parts Manager which ensure a smooth flow of parts to Service Technicians during jobs.
· Become familiar and efficient with all phases of the computer system required for service & parts management
· Ensure employees keep a clean and orderly department.
2) Customer Service
· Greet guests immediately, in a courteous and friendly manner.
· Handle guest complaints reasonably, showing empathy and a positive attitude, and demonstrate our commitment to “Make Things Right”.
· Gain the trust and confidence of new guests when they are introduced to the service department.
· Give special attention to repeat orders to ensure the situation is corrected.
· Maintain service follow‑up programs.
· Maintain budgeted revenue and expense objectives.
· Develop promotional campaigns in conjunction with the parts & sales departments.
· Maintain efficiency reports on sales representatives.
· Provide reports to GM, as requested.
· Develop monthly and annual objectives for the department in collaboration with GM.
· Attend training sessions to keep current with service department issues.
4) Other Duties – As Assigned
· Establish departmental work schedule, balancing the work loads of all employees.
· Monitor and address all comebacks with individual technicians.
· Establish job assignments for all service employees within their skill levels.
· Set policies and procedures for service department.
· Manage employee performance (evaluate and council).
· Assist with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and firing employees.
· Maintain records of all employee performance reviews.
· Provide training for all service employees (seminars; workshops; sales schools, etc.)
· Treat all employees and customers fairly, courteously, and with dignity.
· Model superior guest service behavior for all service personnel by maintaining positive relationships with guests, employees, GM and owner(s).
· Be prompt and available for flexible scheduling.
· Be honest and fair in all business dealings.
· Demonstrate an interest in growing the service business.
· Focus on quality and productivity.
Qualifications & Job Requirements:
· Five years progressive experience within the service department of a motor vehicle dealership.
· 1-2 years of knowledge and experience with sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and other products sold by the dealership, or the demonstrated ability to quickly learn them.
· 2 years of experience with point-of sale (POS) and parts & service management computer software or the ability to quickly learn due to experience with other systems.
· Current motorcycle license.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
· Occasionally required to bend, stoop, crouch, reach, and handle tools.
· Occasionally requires the ability to lift 40 lb. of material.
· Occasionally requires the ability to balance and push a 600+ lb. motorcycle.
· Frequently works near moving mechanical parts.
· Is potentially exposed to battery acid, gasoline, chemical cleaning materials or other toxic materials commonly found in a motor vehicle service department.
· Occasionally, exposed to exhaust fumes or other airborne particles.
About Calumet Harley-Davidson, Inc.
25 years and growing family owned and operated multi-award winning full line H-D dealership located in the major metro of Chicagoland-Northwest Indiana with a thriving riding community and motorcycle community.