In this role, the Styling Designer II you will work independently and with diverse product design/development teams in performing a full range of Powersports products concept and design origination/adaptation functions relevant to departmental and organizational needs including conducting product, styling and consumer research, developing and presenting original designs/concepts, creating sketches, renderings and computer graphic illustrations and evaluating/revising original designs.
We are looking for someone that employs the best combination of aesthetics, functionality and engineering to develop final 2D/3D designs that meet branding, customer, manufacturing and cost requirements while creating the most functional and appealing product design. Work assignments are performed within defined latitude for independent judgment, problem solving and decision-making as well as defined parameters for accuracy, quality, efficiency and compliance with time schedules and applicable policies, procedures and regulations.
Our associates take pride in their responsibilities. A typical day for a Styling Designer II will include:
- Utilizes excellent knowledge/understanding of product marketing/branding, design specifications and manufacturing requirements to originate/develop component or complete product design ideas, conducting product research such as reading publications, attending focus groups and/or consulting with product planning/sales/engineering to determine styling trends, consumer preferences, product market goals and technical requirements pertinent to creating initial design concepts.
- Combines artistic talent with product research knowledge to integrate findings/concepts and produce detailed final hand drawings, sketches and 2D/3D data, creating design specifications that balance engineering design, functional requirements and aesthetic appeal while maintaining specific ideas/concepts that build brand identification.
- Interfaces with multiple teams through all phases of development producing design specifications per project schedule, evaluating/modeling designs to validate specifications, conducting problem-solving to determine/propose a variety of design solutions, altering, modifying and reissuing design specifications to meet project goals/technical requirements and summarizing/presenting project status/updates as needed.
- Utilizes strong conceptual design skills to prepare illustrations and working drawings from sketches and design specifications and oversees/supports creation of models or computer simulations to effectively showcase original designs/concepts and successfully promote design implementation.
- Conducts formal/informal design presentations, using detailed sketches, 2D sections and 3D mockup/models to communicate designs to internal engineering groups and planning groups, discussing the need for modifications, collaborating to refine designs while maintaining original objective/intent and reaching consensus on design specification changes.
- May act as PL, managing projects of various size/scope, leading specific tasks within project scope, including complete development/production of assigned models, creating/managing project schedules, leading project meetings/discussions, identifying problems/technical issues, proposing technical approaches for long-term problem resolution and making substantial contributions to ensure project goals/objectives are met.
- Promotes process improvement and cross training at the group/department level including continuous knowledge acquisition in area of specialty and monitoring design concepts to support development/quality initiatives.
- Actively researches industry designs and future styling trends, acquiring inspirational and source material, developing/proposing new design styling processes/best practices and providing design support to the department
- A Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, transportation design or graphic design or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 4 years relevant work experience
- General knowledge of PSP products and market
- Ability to demonstrate creativity and contribute styling solutions
- Ability to demonstrate ideation/concept generation in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to express unique designs through 2D/3D media
- Ability to perform basic conceptual design activities such as sketching and modeling as well as creating mock-ups and visual communication materials
- Knowledge of relevant software applications such as CAD, Photoshop or Alias
- Ability to understand basic design analysis and successfully incorporate engineering criteria into finished designs
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings and concept/styling data
- Ability to perform any assigned task with limited supervision
- Ability to identify and prioritize multiple complex problems and develop sound solutions in a timely manner
- Ability to maintain multiple project schedules and deadlines
- Ability to formulate ideas for process improvement with limited direction
- Ability to interpret existing policy and procedures and apply to new or unusual situations
- Ability to effectively lead meetings, communicate effectively with manager level associates and negotiate with suppliers and customers to arrive at mutually agreeable solutions
- Ability to serve as liaison to other related organizations
- Ability to travel up to 1 time per month or more depending on project demands
- Ability to work overtime based on project demands
*** Please include a Portfolio of your work***